Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: Ju-on: The Grudge

Ju-on: The Grudge (2002)
Probably surprising that until now I haven't gotten around to seeing the original "The Grudge" movie. Somehow I manage to overlook Japanese horror (as opposed to Kaiju flicks which I adore) but that's a mistake I will be correcting from now on. Ju-on is pretty creepy, and kind of sad. The presentation was a little chronologically disjointed which was a little confusing at first, but really probably the best way they could keep the suspense with a fairly straight-forward ghost story. I feel like there is underlying theme to the movie about the lasting effect of tragedies on the community, which I imagine would probably be a lot stronger of a theme in an eastern culture. As the haunting effect touches more people through the movie it evokes a sense of communal loss and hysteria as it claims more victims. I got a sense from the movie that "your neighbor's problems wont stay their's". I dunno, I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment