Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: The Innkeepers

The Innkeepers
Are you in the mood for a spooky ghost story? The Inkeepers focuses on the two clerks who work at a hotel that's going under, who pass the time trying to prove the presence of the paranormal. This is a slow-burn movie, taking its time to build up the tension, with a few jump scares sprinkled through until the climax. Over the last weekend of the hotel's operation the duo take turns working and investigating with cameras and voice recorders looking for ghosts. They also start learning about the last guests staying at the hotel and their mysterious backgrounds. I really liked Sara Paxton's performance as the very believably awkward and vulnerable Claire. She has a relatabley mundane life of a young 20-something college drop-out along with her male counterpart both are trying to find meaning or substance in their lives by trying to find the ghosts at the hotel, and then things get bad for them. I definitely recommend it for people who like creepy atmosphere and subtlety mixed with a couple jump-scares. This is my first time watching a feature from director Ti West, I heard good things about him from this and The House of the Devil but I didn't really care for his segment in V/H/S. I enjoyed this so I'm going to have to see House of the Devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment